Author Topic: No russian localization in CB - something wrong?  (Read 31279 times)

Offline igorg

• Multiple posting newcomer
No russian localization in CB - something wrong?
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:15:34 am »
I see that according to
https://translations.launchpad.net/codeblocks/trunk/+pots/codeblocks/ru/+translate?start=0&batch=10&show=untranslated&field.alternative_language=&field.alternative_language-empty-marker=1&old_show=all
the Code:Blocks interface is 100% translated into Russian, so why is it not seen?
May be some help needed?
Build: Feb 28 2009, 04:19:46 - wx2.8.9 (Linux, unicode)  from Fedora 11 repository.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: No russian localization in CB - something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »
I'm not using any localisation, so I wouldn't know for sure, but you probably need to download those ... what are they called, .po or .mo files from the launchpad site and put them into the right folder inside share.
To my knowledge, none of the translations are under source control (at least I've never seen one) and none are included in the binaries (luckily, in my opinion, the plethora of useless wizards and templates is bad enough already).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline igorg

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:41 pm »
I'm not using any localisation, so I wouldn't know for sure, but you probably need to download those ... what are they called, .po or .mo files from the launchpad site and put them into the right folder inside share.
To my knowledge, none of the translations are under source control (at least I've never seen one) and none are included in the binaries....
And why is this? I've downloaded yesterday Code::Blocks from SVN to be sure that I don't miss something, and, because there was no one
russian *.po file I've  prepared to begin translation. And today I see information that it is 100% translated and there are about 24 translators now!
So what is wrong? Is it supposed to generate RU-packs like it is done in Eclipse and in OpenOffice or what?

Offline GeO

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:56:17 pm »
Like Thomas said:
You have to download the codeblocks.mo file from launchpad(see attachment) and put it into
(Pathtoyournightly)\share\CodeBlocks\locale\ru_RU

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:01:57 pm by GeO »

Offline igorg

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:47:02 pm »
Thanks! But it doesn't work anyway - I've put this file where it belongs, but Code::Blocks is still in English. Perhaps it work only for the latest version from SVN? But translations have been done since 2006.
You cannot expect that all users would download codeblocks.mo files and copy them to /use/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES.
Code::Blocks seems to be mature enough for not using hacker's approaches.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 02:02:46 pm »
Are you able to chose the language in "Settings -> Environment -> View -> Internationalization".

Offline igorg

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 02:09:26 pm »
Yes, but only "available languages"-phrase can be chosen. Nevertheless, somehow (by magic) after restarting Code::Blocks shows only few words in main menu in Russian: "File" and "Help", "File->Save", "File->Exit", "Edit->Cancel", "Edit->Insert", "Help->About".
These seem to be the stock-items of menu.

Offline dk

• Code::Blocks for ALT Linux Sisyphus
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:52:58 am »
I've put codeblocks.mo with russian translation into /usr/share/codeblocks/locale/ru_RU/ and all works fine.

The only problem - russian translation on Launchpad is too old, the main menu has some untraslated strings.

Is it possible to update source .pot file at Launchpad for updating russian translation?
Denis Kirienko
C::B maintainer for ALT Linux distribution (http://www.sisyphus.ru/srpm/codeblocks)

Offline igorg

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 06:56:57 am »
For this be possible there should be a non-100% state for russian translation on Lanchpad. It seems to me to be a rather bad idea when .po-files are translated and maintained outside of the CodeBlocks project. I, myself, was going to translate CB, when I've started to use it, but then, as I've found that it is 100% translated, I've had to stop it and I don't know now what can be done in this situation.

Offline dk

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:21:29 am »
Hello, Igor!

I've started to work under russian translation of C::B for ALT Linux, and firstly I've took translation from Launchpad.

And what I've discovered:

1. Translation on Launchpad is too old. After exporting all new strings from current nightly build, we have less then 50% of all strings translated.

2. Existing translation is too bad. There are a lot of misspells.

3. Translation was made by a group of people - as a result many terms are translated differently by different people. For example, there were three different forms of translation term "workspace".

4. It is impossible to continue translation at Launchpad, because source .pod file at Lauchpad is very old and there is no way to update it.

5. There is no support for translations in the C::B project, so we should make all translations outside the project.

Now I am working on impoving translation locally, using .po file and poedit software. You may download currect src.rpm of C::B for ALT Linux and extract codeblocks.po from it:
ftp://ftp.altlinux.ru/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Sisyphus/files/SRPMS/codeblocks-8.02-alt16.src.rpm

If anybody want to help - I think, we should start new translation project.
Denis Kirienko
C::B maintainer for ALT Linux distribution (http://www.sisyphus.ru/srpm/codeblocks)

Offline igorg

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:22 am »
Why cannot this be a part of CodeBlock project? Can those translated .po files be put in the CodeBlocks tree? I'm using Fedora, for example, so how any normal user is able to get russian translation just with the package from Fedora repository? Or, say, Suse, Mandriva and so on? Now there are hot days on Fedora Translation team before the alpha release and I'm busy for a while, but I would like to participate in CB translation.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 08:40:30 am »
Why cannot this be a part of CodeBlock project?
...because we wouldn't have such a corporate multi-user translation engine. We could not offer such services so translation would become a 1:1 relation which is not what we want.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline igorg

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 09:10:36 am »
Well, I've taken my part in translating Virtual Box, and also have translated Qucs (qucs.sourceforge.net) and Dvdisaster (www.dvdisaster.org), and there translations are made inside of those projects, and now they are pretty well localized.

Offline dk

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 09:48:05 am »
I'm using Fedora, for example, so how any normal user is able to get russian translation just with the package from Fedora repository?

Let's start C::B translation project outside C::B repository. So each C::B package maintainer will be able to add translation to the distribution.

Do you have any ideas how to organize such project?
Denis Kirienko

Offline igorg

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:15 am »
Do you have any ideas how to organize such project?
No, it looks like a tremendous doing to me. It would be better if there been ru.po-entries in CB SVN repository. Then the translated files would be present in every package for any distribution. The file been translated should be locked while it is translated by someone, like it is done in Fedora Transifex.