Author Topic: A new wxSmith Tutorial  (Read 13355 times)

Offline Jt

• Multiple posting newcomer
A new wxSmith Tutorial
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:49:35 am »
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but here goes...

I'm fairly new to wxWidgets and wxSmith, but I've just completed my first "from scratch" application.  Its a fairly simple, four function RPN calculator.  I wrote it strictly as an exercise for myself.

I've learned a ton from BYO's tutorials, but found them a bit light on the implementation side, focusing mainly on the wxSmith interface.  So I have begun (almost finished) a tutorial for this project, which is a full fledged application.

My question is whether or not anyone would be interested in something like this.  I couldn't find anywhere on the board to submit user-generated tutorials such as this.  If there is interest, would someone advise me where I may submit it?

I love Code::Blocks, and wxWidgets and wxSmith, and would like to contribute something.  I'm even thinking of doing a wxSmith video screencast tutorial on this project.  I looked and looked, but couldn't find one.

Thanks,
Jt

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: A new wxSmith Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:54:21 am »
I suggest making a New Wiki Page for it.

I plan to learn to use wxSmith in the future and your wxSmith Tutorial sounds like a good idea.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Jt

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:32:25 am »
I suggest making a New Wiki Page for it.

I plan to learn to use wxSmith in the future and your wxSmith Tutorial sounds like a good idea.

Tim S.

I don't think I'll do that. (the Wiki page, that is... the tutorial is done, in OpenOffice writer.)

I'm moving on to wxPython.  Wish there was a Python plug-in in CB. 

Anyway, its been fun.  I'll always use CB for my C++ efforts.

stevebondy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 01:28:16 am »
I would absolutely love a copy of that tutorial. I'm in the process of switching to code::blocks and wxwidgets (from Borland C++ Builder 1.0) and am finding the existing material a bit light as well.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but here goes...

I'm fairly new to wxWidgets and wxSmith, but I've just completed my first "from scratch" application.  Its a fairly simple, four function RPN calculator.  I wrote it strictly as an exercise for myself.

I've learned a ton from BYO's tutorials, but found them a bit light on the implementation side, focusing mainly on the wxSmith interface.  So I have begun (almost finished) a tutorial for this project, which is a full fledged application.

My question is whether or not anyone would be interested in something like this.  I couldn't find anywhere on the board to submit user-generated tutorials such as this.  If there is interest, would someone advise me where I may submit it?

I love Code::Blocks, and wxWidgets and wxSmith, and would like to contribute something.  I'm even thinking of doing a wxSmith video screencast tutorial on this project.  I looked and looked, but couldn't find one.

Thanks,
Jt

Offline john_erlandsson

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:01:29 pm »
does anybody know what happened to this tutorial?

Offline Jt

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:32:46 am »
does anybody know what happened to this tutorial?

Yeah, Its finished.  So far only Steve has requested it.  John, if you or anyone else is interested, message me with an e-mail addy, and I'll be glad to send it.

Its a fairly simple app, but just writing the tutorial taught me alot.  I'd hoped there might be more interest, or a hint about uploading it to the forum without making a wiki page.

Its available if anyone wants it.

Jt

PS... Steve, did you find it useful?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:54:22 am by Jt »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:46:17 am »
Its a fairly simple app, but just writing the tutorial taught me alot.  I'd hoped there might be more interest, or a hint about uploading it to the forum without making a wiki page.

Maybe anybody else, finds the time to make a new wiki-page based on it.

Offline Jt

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:34 am »
Its a fairly simple app, but just writing the tutorial taught me alot.  I'd hoped there might be more interest, or a hint about uploading it to the forum without making a wiki page.

Maybe anybody else, finds the time to make a new wiki-page based on it.

If anyone would like to take a peek, and wiki it, that would make me very happy.  I think its a decent tutorial.  Its in Open Office format, but I could convert it to Word if needed.

Lots of screen shots and such.  lol!

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:36:54 am »
You can send it to me, maybe I find the time to put it to wiki.

Please do not convert to doc-format.

As email, you can use my nickname at codeblocks.org.

Offline Jt

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:56:32 am »

Sent.  Thanks for your interest, jens!

Jt

Offline Jt

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 01:53:47 am »

Sent.  Thanks for your interest, jens!

Jt

I've moved on to wxPython for GUI stuff.  And Python for regular programs.

Jens has this tutorial... he can do with it as he pleases.  I no longer support it. (not that I ever did... lol!)

Of the five people who asked me for it (and I sent it to) I only heard back from one.

So, screw it!  The Python crowd is much more friendly and interesting.

Thanks to the folks who work on wxWidgets!  We're working on Python 3.0 integration!

Offline iainc

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 03:45:01 pm »
Did anybody wiki this tutorial up anywhere (or even just host it somewhere) please?  I think I'd find it useful!

Thanks,

Iain