Author Topic: GCC-4.4.0-MinGW Binary  (Read 37444 times)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: GCC-4.4.0-MinGW Binary
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 02:30:10 pm »
Don't waste your time any further, Biplab. I'll give up. Thank you for trying, though.

The failure is about 20,000 lines of configure and make shit, followed by "compiler can't create executables". This is independent to what combination of --host --target and --build I provide.
I've tried what you said, tried what the abysmal available documentation tells you, tried what the even more abysmal "canadian cross howto" tells you.

It doesn't work with the MinGW32 cross compiler that Ubuntu provides, either (providing /usr as sysroot, as it's in /usr/i586-mingw32msvc). The exact same compiler works just fine for building programs with Code::Blocks, and they run under Windows with no problems.

The GMP build script will also output a message that --target is not appropriate (hidden in 20,000 lines of useless crap that nobody ever wants to read), but it builds fine. If you do as it tells you, it will compile everything using the native compiler... great.

See, this is why GNU and Linux will never be competitive. They have to make everything super configurable and portable for 3500 platforms that nobody uses, but they just can't make it work out of the box with 2-3 simple commands on a plain normal mainstream PC, nor can they provide clear and understandable instructions what to do to get the desired result.
They can't even give you an error message without requiring you to scroll through 30 screen pages of useless information. Bah!
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline drac

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 02:59:59 pm »
<off topic>
This seemed appropriate! :)
</off topic>

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 03:07:18 pm »
That's a good one. Funnily that's also the reason for me to switch to Windows. I did this (Linux) for years at the university but I just don't have time for such anymore. But:
@Thomas: However - I *never* had such issues with wxWidgets. This is one of the good examples that compiles out-of-the-box and is cross-platform.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:29:41 pm by MortenMacFly »
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 03:16:29 pm »
<off topic>
</off topic>
Oh my god... this is exactly how I feel now :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 03:30:56 pm »
The failure is about 20,000 lines of configure and make shit, followed by "compiler can't create executables". This is independent to what combination of --host --target and --build I provide.
I've tried what you said, tried what the abysmal available documentation tells you, tried what the even more abysmal "canadian cross howto" tells you.

Most likely configure is mixing up path of Linux hosted gcc/bintuils with the cross-one.

This is one of the reasons I build my own cross-compiler and install them to a uncommon path (in my case /home/biplab/cross-tools). This helps me avoid interference with other installed gcc tools.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

cslikun

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 05:18:54 pm »
Many Thanks!