Author Topic: SmartWin+  (Read 6068 times)

melmoth

SmartWin+
« on: October 15, 2005, 10:36:21 am »
I have problems with this. Anyone succesfully installed?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: SmartWin+
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 01:19:14 pm »
Tried SmartWin++ about 3 months ago (the idea as such is really, really cool), but was unable to get anything to work at all.
May try again on Sunday, it seems like a lot has been done these last 3 months.
If I am successful this time, I'll write a how-to.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: SmartWin+
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 03:01:03 pm »
OK, could not wait, curiosity got me once again.

The library compiles out of the box, just drag the .dev file onto Code::Blocks, and hit the blue gear icon.

Then copy SmartWin\lib\libSmartWin.a to your compiler's lib dir (C:\mingw\lib, or C:\codeblocks\lib, whatever), and copy SmartWin\include\SmartWin.h to your compiler's include dir in the same way.

Now open any of the projects in SmartWin\tests, and hit the blue gear icon. Run.

The binary executable size, however, is... impressive *cough*.

The SmartWin++ site says:
SmartWin++ comes with EXACTLY ZERO (mark not, virtually none, or almost zero but EXACTLY ZERO) overhead. Fact is you would probably get SmartWin++ to perform better than you could make on your own just utilizing Windows API!

Well, I would say "It depends". With -O2 -s, the "hello world" example has 365 kB. Admitted, it does more than just show "hello world", it has a menu bar, a checkbox, a button, and it opens a dialog box. But still 365 kB is quite a bummer. Most of the executable size is probably due to exception handling, which is mandatory in SmartWin++.
Clearly, using exceptions is a good and correct way of programming, but exceptions are not free and not zero overhead, which is why I personally never use them (that's a matter of taste, though).
But still, it looks very nice overall, and although bloated, the "hello world" app is still less than half the size of the  statically linked wxWindows version ;)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."