Author Topic: Code::Blocks and C++ for Dummies  (Read 7977 times)

gabe

Code::Blocks and C++ for Dummies
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:12:34 am »
Hi everyone.  I'm just now starting to try and teach myself about C++ for fun in my spare time so I bought the sixth edition of "C++ For Dummies."  It came with a disc to install that set up Code::Blocks "Special Build for 'C++ for Dummies.'"  I was just curious if anybody knew what is so "special" about the Code::Blocks that I have now.  I hope this is the right place to ask this and I didn't find anything about it when I searched so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Code::Blocks and C++ for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:49:12 am »
Hi everyone.  I'm just now starting to try and teach myself about C++ for fun in my spare time so I bought the sixth edition of "C++ For Dummies."  It came with a disc to install that set up Code::Blocks "Special Build for 'C++ for Dummies.'"  I was just curious if anybody knew what is so "special" about the Code::Blocks that I have now.  I hope this is the right place to ask this and I didn't find anything about it when I searched so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I suggest stating by posting the version number from the about box.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:57:09 am »
I was just curious if anybody knew what is so "special" about the Code::Blocks that I have now.
Special is the version which is not an official (public) release, but an interims-release, specifically done for this book and the compiler bundled in addition.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:06:53 am »
In particular, a compiler version which was in alpha stage at that time (at the request of the book author). Which means, if something comes out that eats your cat, we dun' know nothin' about it. :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

gabe

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:51:58 pm »
In particular, a compiler version which was in alpha stage at that time (at the request of the book author). Which means, if something comes out that eats your cat, we dun' know nothin' about it. :)

Well I don't have a cat but my dog is pretty small. :(  Thanks for your help.