Author Topic: [HELP] How do I properly add a library to my project?  (Read 8580 times)

Offline zeruel_angel

• Single posting newcomer
[HELP] How do I properly add a library to my project?
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:40:09 am »
Hi everyone! this is my first time in this forum! =D

I have this little minor problem... I don't know how to add a library to my C::B project.

Im using C::B in win xp sp3

I Have an OpenGL+Glut project (I managed to create it using the project wizard) and everithing runs smooth... :)

Now I am in a need of some extra functionality for my project, so I googled a while and I found a mention of this library "mkOpenGLJPEGImage":
http://pheatt.emporia.edu/courses/2003/cs410s03/hand02/hand02.htm

The home page of that library is non existing nowadays.

This is a quote from the help file that came with the library:
Adding the class to your MSVC++ project
To use the mkOpenGLJPEGImage class in your software, you need to do the following.

Copy the mkOpenGLJPEGImage.h header file into the source code directory or some into a directory in the "Include Files Path".
Add the mkOpenGLJPEGImage.h header file to your project as a source code file. This is not necessary but it allows MSVC to pop up completion boxes for the class which is always helpful.
Copy the mkOpenGLJPEGImage.lib library into either a directory in the "Library Files Path" or into the source code directory itself.
Add the mkOpenGLJpegImage.lib library to the project's "Object/Library Modules" under Project>Settings>Link>General
Now you're ready to compile your programs using the class.

I tried to add the libraries, I added the ".h" to my project, then added the ".dll" to the folder where the exe is compiled. Finally I went to "Project->Build Options->Linker settings" and added the path to the .lib file.

I compile and everithing goes OK till it gets to the linker time when I get this message:
"ld.exe cannot find -lmkOpenGLJPEGImage.lib"

By the way, the files for the library are:
mkOpenGLJPEGImage.h
mkOpenGLJPEGImage.dll
mkOpenGLJPEGImage.lib

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Because I searched all over the web and I can not get it to work, I dont know why.

I also read in another topic that if you put the library on the left side, It will get te prefix "-l" so I also tried adding "l" and "-l" to the ".lib" file and nothing.
I also added it on the right side like this: "-mkOpenGLJPEGImage.lib" and I told the compiler to search in the folder where the .lib file was. But that time I got compiler errors, the same I get if I remove the .lib file from the left side of the linker settings.

Thanks for reading my post!

See you later!

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: [HELP] How do I properly add a library to my project?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »
What is your compiler error? Please post it here.
It seems it is a linker error.

Project build option-> Linker settings

You can either add c:\XXX\XXXX\ABC.lib in the left edit window.
Also you can try add -lABC  in the right edit window.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline zeruel_angel

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:34:35 pm »
FIRST OF ALL! thanks for the reply!

This is what I get if I don't add the .lib file anywhere:
-------------- Build: Release in glutProyect ---------------

[ 50.0%] mingw32-g++.exe -fexpensive-optimizations -Os -O3 -O2 -O1 -O   -fexpensive-optimizations -Os -O3 -O2 -O1 -O    -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\include" -Ilib -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\include" -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\glutProyect" -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\glutProyect" -c "C:\<BLAH BLAH>\glutProyect\main.cpp" -o obj\main.o
[100.0%] mingw32-g++.exe -L"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\lib" -Llib -L"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\lib"  -o glutProyect.exe obj\main.o   -s -s  -lglut32 -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lwinmm -lgdi32  -mwindows
obj\main.o(.text+0x113):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN17mkOpenGLJPEGImageC1Ev'
obj\main.o(.text+0x135):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN17mkOpenGLJPEGImage12SetDebugModeEb'
obj\main.o(.text+0x162):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN17mkOpenGLJPEGImage20GetOpenGLScreenImageEii'
obj\main.o(.text+0x181):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN17mkOpenGLJPEGImage10SaveToFileEPci'
obj\main.o(.text+0x1a0):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN17mkOpenGLJPEGImageD1Ev'
obj\main.o(.text+0x1d2):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN17mkOpenGLJPEGImageD1Ev'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
6 errors, 0 warnings
(I edited some parts of the PATHS to "<BLAH BLAH>" )

If I add it on the left panel in "linker settings" I get this:
-------------- Build: Release in glutProyect ---------------

[ 50.0%] mingw32-g++.exe -fexpensive-optimizations -Os -O3 -O2 -O1 -O   -fexpensive-optimizations -Os -O3 -O2 -O1 -O    -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\include" -Ilib -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\include" -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\glutProyect" -I"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\glutProyect" -c "C:\<BLAH BLAH>\glutProyect\main.cpp" -o obj\main.o
[100.0%] mingw32-g++.exe -L"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\lib" -Llib -L"C:\<BLAH BLAH>\DevPak\lib"  -o glutProyect.exe obj\main.o   -s -s  -lmkOpenGLJPEGImage.lib -lglut32 -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lwinmm -lgdi32  -mwindows
C:\Dev-Cpp\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lmkOpenGLJPEGImage.lib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings
+
ld.exe||cannot find -lmkOpenGLJPEGImage.lib|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===|
BUT ONLY IF I ADD THE .LIB AND IT IS IN THE "ROOT" OF MY PROJECT. IF I ADD THE SAME .LIB BUT FROM ANOTHER FOLDER I GET THE SAME ERRORS THAT BEFORE.

If I add it in the left side, only works (trow the "cannot find") If I put "-lmkOpenGLJPEGImage" with ".lib" else, it says the same things that says if I dont put any lib anywhere.

Again, thanks!

See you later!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:38:03 pm by zeruel_angel »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:22:41 pm »
Did you try add the library with full absolute path. I give you a screen shot of my OpenCV and GLUT project.
See below:

[attachment deleted by admin]
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline zeruel_angel

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »
Thanks again! I tried it but again, no luck... It must be a problem with the library, I will try another one, like Devil or GraphicsMagick, I hope I have more luck :P

Thank you very much!

Anyway, I attach a "blank" glut project with the library. (Just remember to change the linker settigns because I'm using absolute path) It will be awesome if you can give it a shoot.

Thanks!

See you later!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 01:17:23 am »
It will be awesome if you can give it a shoot.
You'll need to provide the path to you lib to the linker. Thus add another directory to the include dirst of the linker (!) which points to the path of the sources - namely ".".
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ