Author Topic: Compiling libraries  (Read 4509 times)

Offline nzurb

• Single posting newcomer
Compiling libraries
« on: April 30, 2009, 02:46:28 pm »
Hi

I am new to CodeBlocks, and I am currently trying to get some libraries running. I am using CB on Windows, with wxWidgets, and MinGW. So far, it seems to be running fine. The libraries I need now are pngwriter, libpng, and zlib. My problem is that I have never done this before, so I have no idea how to deal with libraries in general, and specifically how to compile these and link them so that the PngWriter is usable in CodeBlocks. Is there any detailed tutorial out there, or can somebody describe step by step?

Thanks!

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Compiling libraries
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:32 pm »
Hi

I am new to CodeBlocks, and I am currently trying to get some libraries running. I am using CB on Windows, with wxWidgets, and MinGW. So far, it seems to be running fine. The libraries I need now are pngwriter, libpng, and zlib. My problem is that I have never done this before, so I have no idea how to deal with libraries in general, and specifically how to compile these and link them so that the PngWriter is usable in CodeBlocks. Is there any detailed tutorial out there, or can somebody describe step by step?

Thanks!

You can see how linking is done in general in C::B, if you create a wxwidgets-sample with the wizard.
Project properties and build options are of interest.

How to deal with special llibraries goes beyond the scope of our forum and should be asked in appropriate forums (in most times it's enough to search the web to get some answers).

If you don't know anything about using libraries, you should read a good book or tutorial.

Offline nzurb

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Compiling libraries
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »
Hi again,

sorry for the late reply, and thanks for your answer. The linking is not the problem, I think I know how I should do that. I would need header files and lib files, right? i have created a project with the xwwidgets - wizard, and it works ok with one of the libraries, which i downloaded in a compiled form already.
The problem I have is installing / compiling the libraries after downloading the source files. I know this is not a topic of this forum, but if you could just give me a few links to the tutorials you mentioned i would be really glad. I've been searching the internet, but haven't found anything helpful.

So, I would be really glad if you could just give me a link (no further explanations required here)
Thanks!