Author Topic: Visual C++ 6.0  (Read 5325 times)

Offline andwan0

• Single posting newcomer
Visual C++ 6.0
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:22 pm »
This isn't a bug but more of query/discussion about getting "big" Visual C++ 6.0 projects fully working in Code::Blocks.

I have a workspace consisting of many DLL & EXE projects. The DLLs are dependent on other DLLs and link to their *.lib. The problem is that the Code::Blocks "Build targets" for DLLs only creates the *.dll file and not the *.lib file (not even when the default Create import library is ticked). I get around this by manually changing the "Type" to Static library. Just wondering how others get around this problem, whether this is really a bug or just normal?

Just curious, is the Code::Blocks /Zi same as VS6 /ZI?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:38:52 pm by andwan0 »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Visual C++ 6.0
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:35:00 pm »
I have a workspace consisting of many DLL & EXE projects. The DLLs are dependent on other DLLs and link to their *.lib. The problem is that the Code::Blocks "Build targets" for DLLs only creates the *.dll file and not the *.lib file (not even when the default Create import library is ticked). I get around this by manually changing the "Type" to Static library. Just wondering how others get around this problem, whether this is really a bug or just normal?
In my windows Xp, using nightly build version, c::b can generate *.DLL files and import library name is *.a. (Not *.lib as you said). This works quite good on building OpenCV libraries. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline andwan0

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:37:13 pm »
In my windows Xp, using nightly build version, c::b can generate *.DLL files and import library name is *.a. (Not *.lib as you said). This works quite good on building OpenCV libraries. :D

Mine doesn't even build *.a files aswell :( This is the default setup of following the wiki page on getting Visual C++ 6.0 to work with Code::Blocks... and yes, Visual C+ 6.0 config is the default compiler.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:39:58 pm »
Oh, I'm sorry, I use MinGW compiler.
I haven't used VC6's compiler together with code::blocks.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.