Author Topic: windres.exe problem in recompiling C::B from sources  (Read 5915 times)

Offline vix

• Multiple posting newcomer
windres.exe problem in recompiling C::B from sources
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:02:41 am »
I've been trying to recompile C::B from sources (WinXP SP2) as Jens suggested me in this post http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=9980.0
I followed the Nightly Cookbook step by step
- I downloaded the last sources with RapidSVN
- I downloaded the wxWidgets 2-8-9 sources and I successfully recompile them

but when I try to rebuild th C::B sources I have this error
Code
Compiling: src\resources\resources.rc
gcc: Blocks\: No such file or directory
gcc: Nightly\sdk\include: No such file or directory
windres.exe: preprocessing failed.
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 5 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

I put C::B sources in D:\projects\CodeBlocks and wxWidgets in D:\projects\wxMSW-2.8.9 (so without spaces in the path)
I updated MinGW to the 5.1.4 version and binutils to the 2.19.1 version, but this didn't help

Could you help me?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: windres.exe problem in recompiling C::B from sources
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:27 am »
Please turn on full commandline logging and post the appropriate part of the build log:

Change "Settings -> Compiler and debugger... -> Global compiler settings -> Other settings(rightmost tab) -> Compiler logging" to "Full commandline".

The version of
Code
windres 
might be of interest, because, there was a change in commandline parameters (if that's the problem your version is really old).

On my windows machine at work I get:
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\jens>windres -V
GNU windres 2.17.50 20060824
Copyright 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

Offline vix

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:38 am »
Code
windres.exe -i D:\projects\CODEBL~1\src\src\RESOUR~1\RESOUR~1.RC -J rc -o .objs\src\resources\resources.res -O coff -ID:\projects\wxMSW-2.8.9\include -IC:\Programmi\MinGW\include -I"C:\Programmi\Code Blocks Nightly\sdk\include" -IC:\Programmi\wxWidgets-2.8.0\include 
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 4 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

Code
GNU windres (GNU Binutils) 2.19.1
Copyright 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) any later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

Hope this helps

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:00 am »
windres.exe -i D:\projects\CODEBL~1\src\src\RESOUR~1\RESOUR~1.RC -J rc -o .objs\src\resources\resources.res -O coff -ID:\projects\wxMSW-2.8.9\include -IC:\Programmi\MinGW\include -I"C:\Programmi\Code Blocks Nightly\sdk\include" -IC:\Programmi\wxWidgets-2.8.0\include
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 4 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

You seem to have include dirs for windres, that include spaces.
Remove them and try it again.

If you use standard C::B sources, they are most likely set in the global compiler settings ("Settings -> Compiler and debugger -> Global compiler settings -> [your_compiler] -> Search directories -> Resource compiler".

Only use global compiler settings, if you really know what you do, and if you need them for every project you want to compile with this compiler.

Offline vix

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:35:47 pm »
Thanks to your help I've been able to recompile C::B from the sources by myself  :D

Then I tried to compile the contrib plugins, as in this tutorial http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows
But the process ended with a lot of errors
Code
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:6:29: tinyxml/tinyxml.h: No such file or directory
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:7:21: globals.h: No such file or directory
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp: In function `bool QuerySvn(const wxString&, wxString&, wxString&)':
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:26: error: `TiXmlDocument' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:26: error: expected `;' before "doc"
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:27: error: `doc' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:27: error: `cbU2C' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:32: error: `TiXmlHandle' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:32: error: expected `;' before "hCommit"
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:33: error: `hCommit' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:34: error: expected primary-expression before "const"
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:34: error: expected `)' before "const"
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:36: error: `e' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:36: error: `cbC2U' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:37: error: expected initializer before '*' token
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:38: error: `d' was not declared in this scope
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:26: warning: unused variable 'TiXmlDocument'
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:27: warning: unused variable 'cbU2C'
D:\projects\CodeBlocks\src\plugins\contrib\AutoVersioning\avSvnRevision.cpp:32: warning: unused variable 'TiXmlHandle'
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 1 seconds)
15 errors, 3 warnings

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:14:50 pm »
I guess the global variable cb is pointing to the wrong directory.
Make sure that in "Settings -> Global variables..." the base of cb points to the directory where C::B's project and workspace files are.
It's the first directory called src in the root directory of C::B's sources (on my linux box it's /home/jens/codeblocks-build/codeblocks.trunk/src).

Offline vix

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:46:17 pm »
Thanks Jens,
I've been able to recompile C::B and contrib plugins  :D :D :D

Now I'm starting my attempt to recompile the old KeyMacs plugin, and if I'm having problems I'll start a new thread...