Author Topic: The Best C++ IDE  (Read 61441 times)

bszente

The Best C++ IDE
« on: February 07, 2005, 12:40:48 am »
I've been searching a lot for a good C IDE, but I think CodeBlocks is the best even if it's not complete yet.
Dev-C++ is almost at version 5, but it contains many bugs and it cannot handle simple task like selecting a text and dragging it to a new location for example.
So my compliments to you Mandrav, your IDE is it only at version1 beta, but i like it better then Dev-C, I think that CodeBlocks is realy competitive.
And it has a major advantage over the other IDEs: the LINUX support.

So keep developing, it's realy a huge need for this IDE.

Thanks.

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 09:44:42 pm »
I've tried many IDE's including Dev C++ and I agree 200% with you... CodeBlocks is the best IDE of all, it's very friendly and it's compatibility with the suported compilers (at least with VC++ 2003) is excellent
Before downloading I didn't expect it to be as good as the other IDEs, but CodeBlocks really surprised me and turned to be better than the others...

Keep up the GREAT work!

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 02:53:42 pm »

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 07:48:04 pm »
Quote from: Anonymous
I think the CDT of eclipse is also a good C/C++ IDE.
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/cdt-home/user/faq.html?cvsroot=Tools_Project
http://update.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/new
Can someone compare the advantages and disadvantages of CodeBlocks and "CDT of eclipse"?

IMO (please correct me if i'm missing something)

Debugger:
CDT: debugger is very complete and useful
C::B: debugger in this moment is very basic

Project handling:
CDT:  For simple projects it' ok. For more complex projects, although it's possible to estabilish project dependencies, it does not offer a real multi-target project manager.
C::B: It was a nice surprise for me to find a _real_ multitarget project handling in codeblocks.

Memory Occupation
CDT: AAAAARRRGG!!
C::B: Reasonable

Startup Times
CDT: AAAAARRRGG!!
C::B: Very Quick

Refactory
CDT: Present ad seems to works well
C::B: Not present (AFAIK)

Class browsing ecc ecc
CDT: Very nice and useful _BUT_ i'm really disappointed by C++ indexing times. May be i'm missing something, but trying to handle C::B code with CDT, the first global C++ indexing tooks more than one hour to complete!!              
C::B: Present but quite buggy and code completion doesn't handle typedefs and templates.

Extensibility
CDT: Can be extended with plugins.
C::B: Can be extended with plugins. I quote Yiannis:
Quote from: mandrav
Yes, almost everything can be done with plugins. A tutorial on plugins is planned shortly.

Future
CDT: Latest CDT official release is dated Dec 2004. I wasn't able to find any info about CDT delepment process. This open source licensed project is not so "open".
C::B: Yiannis seems to be very active, in development and support. C::B source code hasn't many comments, but it's quite easy to understand. Plugins can extend many aspects of IDE and can be written in C++.

Hope this helps, walter

Offline troels

• Multiple posting newcomer
The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 01:43:54 pm »
Code::Blocks is by far the best multiplatform IDE I ever saw.

BTW, Beta6 full setup is so great, what a relief to no longer need the huge MinGW download, this is so much neater, runs right out of the box.

/Troels

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 12:53:20 pm »
Well, as opposed to many others, I have a full instaled C++Builder in my computer (version 6 bought with my own money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - very expensive). But I still use free IDEs and compilers because I work as a professor in a public University here in Brazil. In my humble oppinion (as I've tested so many free things over the last 10 years of teaching activitie), this is the best solution I've encountered! I am truly satisfied and I recomend it to all my students, specially for those who are *nix users, as Cod::Blocks have a Linux version.

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 10:30:49 pm »
Code::Blocks is the best IDE i ever saw, please work on.

MfG Roan;

biscuitz

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 10:33:35 pm »
I tried Dev-C++ and the load time was amazing - 5 seconds! It took 5 seconds for it to start up every time I wanted to use it. I don't know about you but I need an IDE that loads almost instantly (hint- CODEBLOCKS). This IDE rocks!

:) Can't wait until beta 7 comes out.

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 12:18:46 am »
Don't wait too much, I *suspect* it's going to be released this weekend! (warning: this is just a rumour, it might be released next week but oh bwahahahaha I *LOVE* rumours ;-P )

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 07:35:29 pm »
The best free IDE, workspaces support is great, multi-targets/configs great, speed is great, no hidden big files (like MS VC++ Studio project databases, when a simple console hello-world-program occupies 4 megs of IDE project files). Great! Keep it so flexible, tiny and usable!

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 05:59:45 pm »
Quite so.
I have been using Dev-CPP for years, and I am consequently reluctant to migrate to something else, but Code::Blocks is just amazing.
In particular its universality is great.
Also, I have it running for 3 hours now, and it has not crashed, neither did it make me swear - this is a miracle. While working with Dev-CPP, I can't stop swearing ;)
Code::Blocks will certainly be the environment I'll use in the future. Thanks a lot for such a great piece of software :)

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 10:58:13 am »
Quote from: Anonymous
I have been using Dev-CPP for years, and I am consequently reluctant to migrate to something else, .... While working with Dev-CPP, I can't stop swearing

Are you a masochist? :lol:

Anonymous

The Best C++ IDE
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 12:58:41 am »
Im going to have to agree with previous post. This is the best IDE. The ability to import MSVC projects is priceless.
Thanks for making this avialable. Great work.

Mike
www.martinm.net